Tuesday, May 13, 2014

No Web Slinging For Me......


I WILL NOT WASTE MY MONEY ON THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2!!  I just can’t bring myself to do it! It’s a general principle thing, that when you smell shit………you shouldn’t step in it.  Okay, here’s the thing…..being that I am an avid and rabid comic book fan, it’s almost a given that any comic book related movie that comes out I will go see.  However, there have been four isolated moments when I just absolutely refused to bother wasting my money on what I felt was going to be a shit fest of a movie: Ghost Rider, Elektra, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance & Green Lantern.  All of the aforementioned movies I eventually saw via bootleg copies or catching it on cable.  And now I am adding The Amazing Spiderman 2 to that list. 

It’s not big secret I’m not the biggest Spiderman fan…….anymore! At one point in my life, Spidey was still one of my fav’rit characters.  The run in Spectacular, Amazing & the flagship Spiderman titles were some of my fondest memories, but over the years in the books he just became an annoyance to me. While the other heroes were allowed to grow and develop, I still felt like I was watching a 30yr old teenager leaping around New York in his play clothes. My faith was restored when they developed some stories that showed Peter growing up some and being a bit more interesting as a character, then they wiped that away with some cockamamie reality warping story and took it right back to the wackiness.   So I stopped reading.  Now before you go yelling “bias!”, let me say that while I had lost favor with the books, I did enjoy the Sam Raimi movies to a degree.  The first Spiderman was decent enough, but Spiderman 2 was that dope for real! No two ways about it.  Spiderman 3 suffered from being overstuffed with characters and camp that all but sucked the life out of the thriving franchise…….time for a reboot: Enter The Amazing Spiderman.


They did away with the director, brought in an entirely new creative team and cast.  From the outset this was going to be an updated Spiderman for the new generation.  They stressed a darker and serious tone, but with still moments of banter and fun you expect from the wall crawler.  I begrudgingly went and saw The Amazing Spiderman on opening weekend.  I wasn’t blown to the back of the theatre but it was a refreshing take, and Andrew Garfield offered a great performance that outshined Toby McGuire in the previous movies.  I still wasn’t a fan, but I was curious to see what they would in the next movie. 
 Looking at the cast, it should be a no miss! You have Andrew Garfield, Sally Fields & Emma Stone all returning, then your adding Paul Giamatti, Jamie Foxx & newcomer Dane Dehaan.  Giamattie and Foxx are Academy award level actors. Dehaan is slowly carving a nice resume of work that only hints at his true level of talent.  While the script seemed bloated, much like Spiderman 3, you can’t go wrong recruiting talent, and I hoped that they would avoid the failures of that movie.  Dare I say, I was actually excited for the movie!!  Then the reviews began to come in……sigh. 


Well that doesn’t seem to be a case based on not only critic reviews and fan reactions. Granted, I never put too much stock into critics’ opinions, but I do like to get a feel for what they are saying about a movie.  There are a few critics in particular whose opinions I respect to the utmost, and even they confirmed my worse fear that the movie was overstuffed, unfocused and disappointing.  Not an overall shitfest, but clearly not reaching its potential or being as good as you would think it should be.  Even longtime friends that are unabashed Spiderman fans (comic & non-comic readers), returned to me with reports of being underwhelmed or not even sure about how they felt about the movie.  Like, how the hell you just spend $30 on Imax/3D and not know how you felt about what you just watched?!  For what was supposed to be a summer blockbuster, the buzz just isn’t there.  To date right now, the movie only spent one week at the #1 spot…….hardly the return you would expect on any summer movie, let alone a Spiderman movie.  It would be nice if Sony would just let it go and allow for the rights of Spiderman to go back to Marvel, but it’s too much of a cash cow for them , that they will continue to churn out these flicks with little regard. They effectively have his ass hogtied hostage style!  After seeing Captain America: TWS, the movie going audience’s expectations are set pretty damn high and the response to Spidey is proving that his web shot a lil’ short this time around.   Hopefully Godzilla & X-Men: Days of Future Past will live up to their potential.  But I do appreciate Spidey nonetheless……he just saved me $25 on my car insurance! Good looking Webhead!!
 
Did you go see The Amazing Spiderman 2?! What was your take on it? Would you recommend it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment